Thursday, November 19, 2009

Vintage Los Angeles

Los Angeles in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Provided by "nicepictures," an ebay seller.

Wilshire Blvd, 1954
Kress, Carnation & General of America Insurance - Los Angeles, 1954
Andersen's Restaurant - Los Angeles, 1954
Los Angeles, 1954
Hollywood Blvd from Vine Street, 1965
Rex Arms, Mobilgas - Los Angeles, 1954
Wilshire Blvd, 1954
Drug King & Rexall - Hollywood and Vine, 1965
Sunset Blvd, 1965
Capitol Records on Hollywood and Vine, 1962
Pantages Theater on Hollywood Blvd, 1965
Westwood Village - Los Angeles, 1941
Bank of America - Los Angeles, 1941
The Brown Derby - Los Angeles, 1954
Hody's Restaurant on Hollywood and Vine, 1965
Ralph's Grocery Store, 1940s
Miracle Mile Mayco, 1950s
Rose Parade - Pasadena, 1962
Gravmans Chinese Theater Hollywood Blvd, 1965
Santa Monica Blvd - Los Angeles, 1964
Sunset Blvd, 1976
Pershing Square, 1965
Pershing Square, 1970s
Broadway and 7th St - Los Angeles, 1977

18 comments:

The Viewliner Limited said...

Absolutely awesome pics.

The Viewliner Limited said...

Check my blog. I gave you a shout out! Cool stuff man.

Gunnar and Sherry said...

These are great. I love Perry Mason-era LA!

Anonymous said...

6+ cents/GaL. oF GaS

Joaquín said...

You should go to Cuba. That's like the paradise of 60's buildings.

And communism.

And chubby womans.

M. Andreas said...

very nice pics. super! Thankx very much, from the netherlands, city of groningen

Unknown said...

So great -- it's astonishing how *little* some places have changed in 50-60 years!

Anonymous said...

I miss this time ; I think I was born too early before my time. I was born in 1964, and that's when all the great things were coming around. I was too young to appreciate that era, or to have really lived in it ; I would have love to have lived back then. For all of the greatness of having the 21st Century "advances", I prefer the charm and atmosphere of the 1960s and 1970s. A truly magical time - when creativity wasn't squashed by corporate America.

If only I had a time machine - I'd go back in a heartbeat.

dj ernie pearl said...

Amazing pics. I myself was born in 1964 and also missed out on LA in this era. The Pershing Square pics were my favorite. I wish that auditorium building was still there on the now empty corner of Olive/5th.

Anonymous said...

Love looking a these! Thanks for posting. I think the Andersen's is the one that is still there in Buellton. Also, the one with Frankenstein is Hollywood Bl and Cahuenga, both those buildings on the corners are still there.

scholar brad said...

The Andersens Pea Soup Restaurant is located in Buellton California approx 200 miles north of Los Angeles off the 101.

The Vintage Mannequin said...

What great photos I espl love the one 1st one.....being a lover of all things vintage

David from L.A. said...

great pics, thanks for posting these.

www.ExperiencingLA.blogspot.com

George Vreeland Hill said...

These photos are wonderful.
I miss the L.A. of years ago.
It was so much better.

George Vreeland Hill

Luther C said...

Photos are absolutely fantastic. I sat and stared at them - almost like I could step right in.
Like one of the other commentors said, I wished I had been about 16 or 18 in early 60s and living in LA. It'll never be that way again and too sad. It was such a beautiful place. Those pictures are just awesome

Luther C said...

Great pics. I almost felt like I could just step right in. Wished I had been about 16 in 1963 and living there. Wow, born to late...

hobohemian said...

A stunning collection - I stepped into the picture of 1941 Westwood Village with Benny Goodman playing in the background...thank you so much.

Donna Lethal said...

Just beautiful! I drive down Sunset and Vine nearly every day.